For thousands of New Zealand football fans – particularly those who follow the women’s game – the Ultimate New Zealand Soccer website has become a vital source of results, news and information.
On December 7, 2021, the site chalked up its 20th birthday – a remarkable achievement especially as its many hundreds of pages have been created and maintained by a single volunteer, Auckland’s Jeremy (‘JR’) Ruane (pictured).
Ruane’s site began as an effort to highlight women’s club football in Auckland but quickly grew to serve those who wanted information on the men’s game, as well as our national teams and leading players.
The site – which you can reach by clicking here – has a scoreboard section which frequently becomes one of the fastest ways to discover key results in regional leagues.
Ruane started writing about football in 1991 with a column in Auckland’s Eastern Courier.
Multiple awards have followed for his work including:
- Award for Special Services to Women’s Football (2000)
- Long Service Award from Auckland Football (2006)
- Media awards including Winner Football Website of the Year, ‘Straight Shooter of the Year’ and National League Media Person of the Year (2002)
- Club Magazine/Publication of the Year (four-time winner)
- Regional/Community Football Writer of the Year (2013)
He’s been responsible for editing a hefty list of local football books and publications and treks around the upper North Island (usually using public transport) to ensure his match reports are authentic and include his personal insights.
As the Ultimate New Zealand Soccer site enters its third decade, Friends of Football congratulates Jeremy Ruane and thanks him for his contribution to our sport.