Bay Olympic stay top of Northern League; woes continue for Shore and Suburbs

posted in: News, Northern League

After two rounds, only three of the 12 Northern League clubs have been able to keep a 100% winning record.

Bay Olympic, Auckland City and Birkenhead United sit atop the table with Olympic leading the way with a superior goal difference.

At the other end of the table, three clubs are pointless after a fortnight of losses — including two of the country’s oldest clubs in Eastern Suburbs and North Shore United.

Redfearn hat-trick leads United’s rout of Manukau

A Joshua Redfearn hat-trick was the individual standout of the day as he led Auckland United’s rout of Manukau United at Murdoch Park.

United battled in the first half, leading 1-0 at the break after Redfearn’s opening goal in the 12th minute.

Nicolas Zambrano increased the lead to 2-0 after 64 minutes, forcing Manukau to chase the game.

Redfearn took advantage with two goals in a three minute spell, leaving his side able to coast home for the remaining 10 minutes.

Olympic keep 100% record after incident-packed win at Melville

Oliver Colloty. File image: Phototek.

Bay Olympic won the day’s most incident-packed game, beating Melville United 3-2 at Gower Park in Hamilton.

Roussin Nkoy scored the league’s first goal of the day, giving Olympic the lead at 3.01pm.

Six minutes later, Campbell McIntrye doubled the visitors’ lead.

However McIntyre, Emmanuel Darkwa and captain Thomas Boss all managed to pick up first half yellow cards from referee Andy Holdsworth, all for breaking up play or reckless fouls.

The teams turned around with Olympic two goals to the good and it was Melville who struck first in the second half.

Oliver Colloty scored from the penalty spot in the 57th minute.

Olympic substitute Darren White increased his side’s lead to 3-1 after 72′.

Colloty scored again from the penalty spot, giving Melville late hope of a draw but the Aucklanders ran down the clock to stay top of the competition.

Melville ‘keeper Max Tommy made his 100th appearance for the club in the game — here’s some of his best work:

Video replay

Title-holders Auckland City repel league newcomers Takapuna

Auckland City won 2-1 for the second week, this time repelling the threat from newly-promoted Takapuna City who have already shown they’ll be good enough for the higher division.

Sam Brotherton gave City the lead in the 38th minute at the Croatian Cultural Club grounds, and that’s how the sides turned around.

Sam Robertson, who scored Takapuna’s winner against Eastern Suburbs in round one, levelled the scores in the 52nd minute.

Seven minutes later, Nathan Lobo scored what turned out to be Auckland City’s winner.

Takapuna coach Chris Milicich won’t be happy that four of his players went into the referee’s book.

North Shore United’s woes continue

North Shore United have had a rough start to 2022, losing 4-0 last week and then losing to over-the-bridge rivals Birkenhead United this week.

Andrew Abba put Shore ahead in the 13th minute at Allen Hill Stadium and the side looked good for a half-time lead until referee Mazhar Batoor pointed to the penalty spot as the first half went into added time.

Josh Turner put the penalty away, giving coach Paul Hobson chance to revise his side’s second half approach.

Captain Sam Burfoot scored for Birkenhead in the 74th minute, and that’s how the score remained despite working their subs benches.

Wanderers consign Suburbs to another loss

Hamilton Wanderers beat Eastern Suburbs 2-1 at William Green Domain with all the goals scored in the second half.

Debutant Bee Hong gave the Blue Army the lead in the 56th minute before Suburbs captain Adam Thurston replied from the penalty spot on the hour.

Joe Harris grabbed the all-important winner with 12 minutes remaining, giving Wanderers their first win of the season.

The Wanderers team played the game in honour of the memory of their former chairman Dave Elgie who died recently, aged 63.

Click here for our tribute to Dave Elgie >>>>

Springs share spoils with promoted Waiheke

Western Springs remain unbeaten after two rounds — but sit 8th on the table — after collecting their second 1-1 draw of the competition.

This week’s deadlock was shared with Waiheke United, no doubt relieved to get their first point of the season after a heavy loss to Manukau in round one.

Kaea Rangihaeata put Springs ahead after only four minutes and the sides went half-time with the hoops 1-0 up.

Felix Knight found the equaliser for Waiheke 10 minutes into the second half.


Games played Saturday April 2, 2022

Auckland City 2 (Sam Brotherton 38′, Nathan Lobo 61′)
Takapuna AFC 1 (Sam Robertson 52′)

Eastern Suburbs 1 (Adam Thurston 60′ pen)
Hamilton Wanderers 2 (Bee Hong 56′, Joe Harris 78′)

Manukau United 0
Auckland United 4 (Joshua Redfearn 12′, 76′, 79′, Nicolas Zambrano 64′)

Melville United 2 (Oliver Colloty 57′ pen, 86′ pen)
Bay Olympic 3 (Roussin Nkoy 1′, Campbell McIntyre 7′, Darren White 72′)

North Shore United 1 (Andrew Abba 13′)
Birkenhead United 2 (Josh Turner 45+1′ pen, Sam Burfoot 74′)

Western Springs 1 (Kaea Rangihaeata 4′)
Waiheke United 1 (Felix Knight 56′)


Thanks to …

More stories

More football stories