Ngaruawahia United regain lead after top-of-the-table win in division two

posted in: News

Unbeaten Ngaruawahia United have regained the lead in the Lotto NRFL second division after a top-of-the-table win against Bucklands Beach.

Meanwhile, Cambridge followed up their good Chatham Cup form with a battling 4-1 win against Beachlands Maraetai, despite playing 35 minutes with only nine men on the pitch.

Here’s our round-up of latest games:

Green Machine continues to roll with win against leaders Bucklands Beach

Ngaruawahia United have risen to their biggest test yet since winning promotion to the second division, beating Bucklands Beach 2-1 away to take over at the top of the table.

The Waikato side got off to the best possible start, going ahead through Ben Moore after only four minutes.

On the half-hour, Bucklands Beach levelled through Sean Latimer, a goal that took him into the joint lead of the division’s Golden Boot table, his eighth of the season.

Half-time saw the teams locked at 1-1.

The game’s key moment came 10 minutes into the second half when Ngaruawahia were awarded a penalty.

Marko Memdovic, a recent signing from Metro, scored from the spot, his first goal of the season.

The win keeps Ngaruawahia as the only unbeaten side in the competition, and two points ahead of Bucklands Beach and Hibiscus Coast.

Nine-man Cambridge beat Beachlands Maraetai 4-1

A rapid-fire hat-trick by leading scorer Josh Clarkin broke the resistance of Beachlands Maraetai but dogged defence in the second half brought home the points for Cambridge.

Playing at John Kerkhof Park after last weekend’s upset Chatham Cup win against Northern League side North Shore United, the Reds were quickly into gear, scoring through Anton Ganas after only two minutes.

Clarkin doubled the Cambridge lead after 11 minutes but Caid Szopa pulled back a goal for the visitors in the 18th minute.

Clarkin stepped up a notch, scoring in the 21st and 26th minutes to complete a hat-trick and take him to third place on the division’s Golden Boot ladder.

Approaching half-time 4-1 ahead, Cambridge looked capable of an even bigger win but as the break approached, Hamish Watt was sent off for a second yellow card.

When 10-man Cambridge came out for the second half, their task became more difficult when William Jackson was given a straight red for violent conduct.

Down to nine for the remaining 35 minutes, Cambridge held out the visitors to confirm a confidence-boosting win ahead of next week’s cup tie at Auckland United.

Main photo: Cambridge’s Josh Clarkin … scored a hat-trick in only 14 minutes.

Coast keep in touch with leaders with home win against Northland

Hibiscus Coast continue to stalk the divison’s leaders with a 4-1 win against Northland at Stanmore Bay Park.

Trent Mayes got Coat away to a flyer, scoring twice in the opening 12 minutes.

Just before half-time, Adam Dickinson added a third to send Coast into the break with a comfortable 3-0 lead.

Northland’s Finn Diamond reduced the deficit 10 minutes into the second half.

But in the 62nd minute, Dickinson weighed in with his second of the day, ensuring Coast got the win.

Hearn hat-trick inspires big win for West Auckland

A first-half hat-trick from Matthew Hearn fired West Auckland to an emphatic 7-1 win at Claudelands Rovers’ Galloway Park.

Rovers had taken the lead through Inga Matiwane in the 12th minute but Anthony Lockton levelled for the visitors four minutes later.

Then, Hearn kicked into action, ratting through a hat-trick with goals in the 23rd, 33rd and 41st minutes.

West Auckland went into half-time 4-1 up.

And in the second-half, things just got worse for Rovers as Stewart Mackay extended the margin to 5-1 within a few minutes of the restart.

West Auckland made a double substitution after 57 minutes, bringing on Michael Bruce and Frazier Johnston.

Both responded with Bruce scoring in the 76th minute and Johnston in the 86th minute.

For West Auckland, it was their biggest win since earning promotion to the second division while Rovers continue to stutter after a good start to the season.

Richardson double steers Franklin to victory over winless Oratia

Two goals by Tim Richardson put the gap between mid-table Franklin United and bottom side Oratia United as they played out a 3-1 match at Pukekohe’s Navigation Homes Stadium.

Franklin took a first-half lead through Solomon Islands international Henry Fa’arodo but soon after the break, Oratia levelled through Harry Cuthbert.

Richardson then put Franklin ahead in the 53rd minute and finished off the game with a second effort with ten minutes to go.

Oratia have now lost all seven of their fixtures and are six points adrift at the foot of the table.


Games played Saturday June 11, 2022

Bucklands Beach 1 (Sean Latimer 32′)
Ngaruawahia United 2 (Ben Moore 4′, Marko Memedovic 57′ pen)

Cambridge 4 (Anton Ganas 2′, Josh Clarkin 11′, 21′, 26′)
Beachlands Maraetai 1 (Caid Szopa 18′)

Franklin United 3 (Henry Fa’arodo 34′, Tim Richardson 53′, 80′)
Oratia United 1 (Harry Cuthbert 49′)

Hibiscus Coast 4 (Trent Mayes 5′, 12′, Adam Dickinson 44′, 62′)
Northland 1 (Finn Diamond 55′)

Claudelands Rovers 1 (Inga Matiwane 12′)
West Auckland 7 (Anthony Lockton 16′, Matthew Hearn 23′, 33′, 41′, Stewart Mackay 49′, Michael Bruce 76′, Frazier Johnston 86′)


More stories


Our coverage of Northern League and Lotto NRFL men’s football is made possible through the support of our partners at Cube, specialists in print, design and signage. We encourage clubs and businesses to consider Cube when looking for professional help in their branding and promotional planning.