Goalkeeper scores winner as Waiheke upset Melville in Chatham Cup

posted in: Chatham Cup, News

Waiheke United tipped Northern League form on its head, upsetting Melville United 2-1 in their Chatham Cup final — and with their goalkeeper scoring the winning goal.

It capped a day of extremes in which Auckland United and Hamilton Wanderers couldn’t manage a goal between them, needing a penalty shoot-out, while cup holders Cashmere Technical smashed nine goals past Green Island.

Here’s our round-up of fourth-round action:

Goalkeeper scores winner as Waiheke oust Melville

Goalkeeper Sebastian Ciganda scored the winner for Waiheke United as the Northern League strugglers upset Melville United, beating them 2-1 at Hamilton’s Gower Park.

The Waiheke side brought their banner-bearing, drum-beating and flare-waving fans to help create a day of cup tension.

And after a goalless first half, the supporters got plenty to watch.

Melville’s Ryen Lawrence put the home side ahead straight after the break but a minute later, Waiheke levelled through Felix Timmins-Scanlon.

On the hour, Waiheke got their chance to turn the game when referee Andres Castro awarded the visitors a penalty.

Up stepped goalkeeper Ciganda whose spot kick was saved by rival ‘keeper Max Tommy. The ball rebounded to Cigando who stuck it into the net, a goal that takes Waiheke into the quarter-finals.

in his aftermatch speech Melville coach Sam Wilkinson said there would be no sob story over a penalty his players were incensed about.

“We fell a little bit short of the levels we expect, and that’s on me as the coach who sets the standards,” he said.

Main photo: Waiheke goalkeeper Ciganda celebrates at the final whistle. 

Waiheke fans celebrate as the game ends at Gower Park.

Navy Blues come from behind to reach last eight

Auckland City had to stage a second-half fightback to get past Bay Olympic 2-1 at Olympic Park.

Olympic had taken the lead in the 32nd minute through Jack Duncan and had held that lead at half-time.

Reid Drake levelled for City after 57 minutes.

The winner came from Mario Ilich in the 71st minute and City rode out the last section of the game, happy enough to get through to the last eight.

Wanderers need penalty shoot-out to break deadlock

Hamilton Wanderers kept their nerve to win a penalty shoot-out after two hours of football failed to produce a goal, let alone a result from open play.

The sides went to the penalty spot at Keith Hay Park when neither could break the deadlock, and Wanderers won the shoot-out 3-2.

The United/Wanderers tie couldn’t produce a goal till the penalty shoot-out. Photo: Dave Barker.

Miramar Rangers stroll past Western Suburbs with 5-1 win

Wellington’s Miramar Rangers dismantled West Suburbs with a clinical opening spell, scoring three goals in the opening 17 minutes.

That tilted the quarter-final tie strongly in their favour and there was no way back for Suburbs.

Striker Hamish Watson rattled up a quick double, scoring in the 7th and 14th minutes, before Wan Gatkek stretched the lead to 3-0 in the 17th minute.

Samuel Mason Smith made it 4-0 at half-time, having scored in the 35th minute, and he stretched the lead to 5-0 with his second goal a few minutes into the second spell.

Suburbs scored a consolation goal in the 78th minute through Muse Abrahaberhe but the win was never in doubt for Rangers, last season’s cup runners-up.

Current cup holders blitz Green Island 9-0

Cashmere Tecnhical are on track for back-to-back Chatham Cup wins after blitzing Green Island 9-0 in a one-side game at Garrick Memorial Park, Christchurch.

Technical raced to a 4-0 lead in less than 20 minutes to effectively end the tie as a competitive contest.

Lachie McIsaac, looking for his second Cup Final after going there with Birkenhead United. in 2019, opened the scoring after seven minutes.

Lyle Matthysen doubled the lead two minutes later before last season’s cup final goalscorer Garbhan Coughlan added a third in the 15th minute.

Andrew Storer stretched the lead to 4-0 in the 18th minute.

Jacob Richards made it 5-0 after 38 minutes and the sides turned around with Technical sitting pretty.

Coach Dan Schwarz took full opportunity to rotate his squad, using five players off the bench in the second half.

Fraser Angus grabbed a double, scoring in the 59th and 74th minutes, and Technical benefitted from a 74th-minute own goal credited to Tate Barron.

Substitute Samuel Lapslie capped the whitewash scoring the ninth goal with five minutes left.

Royals beat Nelson Suburbs 3-1 on the artificial turf

Dunedin City Royals will represent the lower South Island as the Chatham Cup field narrows down.

The Royals beat Nelson Suburbs 3-1 at Dunedin’s Artificial Turf venue, after leading 1-0 at half-time.

Benjamin Stanley gave his side the lead after 18 minutes.

An hour into the game, Stanley got his second goal to stretch the lead to 2-0.

But Suburbs got back into the tie with a 70th-minute goal from substitute Jamie McCookin, on the field for only three minutes when he found the net.

The Royals made it 3-1 through substitute Will Turner, enough to secure the win and a spot in next week’s quarter-final draw.

Olympic knock out Napier City Rovers

Wellington Olympic tipped past winners Napier City Rovers out of the cup on their own turf.

They took control of the Sunday tie as the teams were about to break for half-time, winning 4-0 at Bluewater Stadium.

Olympic took the lead a minute before the interval through Alex Palezevic.

In the second spell, Gianni Bouzoukis doubled Olympic’s lead on the hour mark.

Kailan Gould grabbed a double with goals in the 72nd and 85th minutes.

The only hiccup for Olympic was a late red card for Justin Gulley for picking up two late cautions.

Chatham Cup (4th round)

Games played Saturday July 9, 2022

Bay Olympic 1 (Jack Duncan 32′)
Auckland City 2 (Reid Drake  57′, Mario Ilich 71′)

Melville United 1 (Ryen Lawrence 46′)
Waiheke United 2 (Felix Timmins-Scanlon 47′, Sebastian Ciganda 59′)

Auckland United 0
Hamilton Wanderers 0
*Wanderers win penalty shoot-out after extra time.

Miramar Rangers 5 (Hamish Watson 7′, 14′, Wan Gatkek 17′, Samuel Mason-Smith 35′, 51′)
Western Suburbs 1 (Muse Abrahaberhe 78′)

Cashmere Technical 9 (Lachie McIsaac 7′, Lyle Matthysen 9′, Garbhan Coughlan 15′, Andrew Storer 18′, Jacob Richards 38′, Fraser Angus 59′, 74′, own goal 74′, Samuel Lapslie 85′)
Green Island 0

Dunedin City Royals 3 (Benjamin Stanley 18′, 62′, Will Turner 79′)
Nelson Suburbs 1 (Jamie McGookin 70′)


Game played Sunday July 10, 2022

Napier City Rovers 0
Wellington Olympic 4 (Alex Palezevic 44′, Gianni Bouzoukis 60′, Kailan Gould 72′, 85′)

Birkenhead United P
Eastern Suburbs P

This game has been postponed in line with New Zealand Football’s COVID-19 protocols. The match will now be played on Wednesday July 20.

More football stories