New Zealand Football have welcomed confirmation from FIFA that Visit Saudi will not be a sponsor at this year’s FIFA Women’s World Cup.
In a statement, NZF said: “We believe it is critical for all commercial partnerships to align with the vision and values of the tournaments they are involved in.”
This follows a statement by FIFA president Gianni Infantino that talks with Visit Saudi “didn’t lead into a contract.”
Infantino, who has been re-elected unopposed for another term as president, said the fuss over a potential sponsorship had been “a storm in a tea cup.”
“There is no issue and no contract,” he said.
“There are discussions and of course we want to see how we can involve Saudi sponsors in women’s football generally, how we can involve Saudi sponsors in men football, or we can involve Qatari sponsors in women’s football and men’s football, and all other sponsors from all over the world.”
Football Australia chief executive James Johnson said: “We welcome clarification from FIFA regarding Visit Saudi.
“Equality, diversity and inclusion are really deep commitments for Football Australia and we’ll continue to work hard with Fifa to ensure the Women’s World Cup is shaped in this light, and it is a historic event for our nation, showcasing the world’s greatest female players and advancing the game globally.”
READ MORE: Pressure goes on FIFA to reject Saudi Arabia sponsorship for Women’s World Cup >>>>
Main photo: The Women’s World Cup kicks off in Auckland on July 20. Photo credit: FIFA.