New Zealand have to beat Switzerland on Sunday to be sure of reaching the Round of 16 at the FIFA Women’s World Cup.
That’s the simple outcome of Tuesday night’s group games in which the Football Ferns lost 1-0 to outsiders Philippines, while Norway and Switzerland played out a goalless draw in Hamilton.
The last two group games will be played at the same time (7pm kick-offs) on Sunday and the computations include:
- New Zealand go through to the knockout stages if they beat Switzerland.
- New Zealand go out of the tournament if they lose to Switzerland.
- If New Zealand and Switzerland draw, the Swiss go through to the knockout rounds but the Ferns’ fate will depend on the result of the Philippines/Norway game.
- If both games are drawn on Sunday, New Zealand qualify.
- If New Zealand draw, and the other game ends in a win, the deciding factor will be the goal differentials on the night.
Here’s how the group stands …
New Zealand 0 The Philippines 1
Main photo: New Zealand’s Malia Steinmetz directs a header towards the Philippines goal during their match in Wellington.
Switzerland 0 Norway 0
Games played on Tuesday July 25, 2023
Venue: Sky Stadium, Wellington
New Zealand 0
Philippines 1 (Sarina Bolden 24′)
Venue: FMG Stadium Waikato, Hamilton
# current FIFA world rankings
Games to be played on Sunday July 30, 2023
Norway (#12) v Philippines (#46)
Eden Park, Auckland, 7pm
Switzerland (#20) v New Zealand (#26)
Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin, 7pm