Day of drama as preliminary round conjures plenty of Chatham Cup magic

posted in: Chatham Cup, News

Upsets, whirlwind finishes and goals aplenty … yes, the Chatham Cup is back for another thrilling year.

Forty-eight teams went into the preliminary round of New Zealand’s oldest club competition on Anzac Day and, as usual, the day produced more than its share of standout results.

These included:

Sperm Whales blow out Whangarei in penalty shoot-out

Sperm Whales FC, a Sunday league side from Auckland, turfed out Northland Community Division 1 side Whangarei FC after a nerve-jangling penalty shoot-out ended 8-7 in favour of the Spunkies, as they are known.

Tom Read had given the Whales a 9th minute lead before Jason Teal levelled for Whangarei in the 22nd minute.

Read grabbed his second after 32 minutes, giving the visitors a 2-1 lead at half-time.

Andrew Dunn tied the game up in the 64th minute, forcing the game to extra time and then to penalties.

Last-minute winner decides clash between former Lotto NRFL sides

Two former Lotto NRFL second division sides fought out a tight tie at Auckland’s Bill McKinlay Park before Ngongotaha emerged 2-1 victors over Uni-Mount Bohemian.

Ngongotaha’s Cook Islands international midfielder Harlem Simiona gave the visitors a 23rd-minute lead which they took into the half-time break.

Substitute Allan Peter Forsyth levelled the game when he scored for Uni-Mount in the 65th minute.

As the game looked destined for extra time, Ngongotaha’s striker Luke Barker scored the winner in added time.

Main photo: Ngongotaha’s Harlem Simiona. File image: Shane Wenzlick / Phototek.

Penalty showdown sends Papakura through to first round

Papakura City and Ranui Swanson fought an epic cup tie at McLennan Park before Papakura progressed to the first round proper courtesy of a penalty shoot-out.

The home side took the early initiative, going ahead after quarter of an hour through Logan Dixon.

James Morris levelled for Ranui-Swanson just before half-time.

Papakura’s Munit Krishna put the home side 2-1 ahead in the 71st minute but substitute Scott Root found an equaliser for the west Aucklanders with seven minutes of normal time left.

In extra time, the visitors struck first, scoring in the 96th minute through Caylem Nelson.

Four minutes later, Sam Hart tied the game up 3-3.

As the light started to fade, the players lined up for penalties and Papakura nerves held out the best.

Sub scores hat-trick to save Te Atutu from early cup exit to Sunday leaguers

Zamantix Rovers Deuce, a Sunday league outfit, enhanced their reputation as Chatham Cup wildcards when they almost pulled off an upset against NRF Championship side Te Atatu.

Zamantix earned plaudits in 2019 when they beat WaiBOP’s West Hamilton United 5-2 before upsetting Lotto NRFL side Hibiscus Coast 2-0.

This year, they looked in line for another giantilling run when they scored two early goals; the first through Blake John Westcar (13′), the next from Kai Sanders (15′).

Peter Norris scored in the 27th minute for Te Atatu and the sides went into half-time at Greenmount Reserve with Zamantix 2-1 to the good.

Te Atatu brought Kyal Wells off the bench in the 55th minute and he soon made an impact, scoring in the 76th and 80th minutes, to give the west Aucklanders a 3-2 lead.

But Westcar got up for another Zemantix goal with five minutes left.

As the game seemed destined for extra time, Wells completed his hat-trick, scoring the matchwinner two minutes into added time.

Four-goal Elmohib leads Waimakairiri United to huge win

Individual goalscoring honours of the day go to Kamil Elmohib who scored a first-half hat-trick and then added a fourth in Waimakariri United’s 10-0 drubbing of High School Old Boys.

With 10 minutes to go, the Old Boys trailed 5-0 but the margin doubled as United ran riot in the final stage of the match.

Full preliminary results

Te Awamutu AFC 2 (Joel Roil 48′, Steffan Foulkes 78′)
Lakes Football Club 1 (Kieran Crumpler 25′)

West Hamilton United P
Whakatane Town P

Otorohanga AFC 0
Waiuku AFC 1 (own goal 5′)

Central United 8 (own goal 16′, Martin Ishigaki 29′, Linus Backman 40′, 60′, Sam Lloyd 41′, Daniel Backman 66′, Joseph Dan-Tyrell 84′, Ben Ruffell 90′)
Matamata Swifts 0

Northern United 2 (Van Sokchannter 51′, Jermaine Andeweg 85′)
Ellerslie Tropics 1 (Levi Taylor 17′)

Papakura City 3 (Logan Dixon 15′, Munit Krishna 71′, Sam Hart 100′)
Ranui Swanson FC 3 (James Morris 41′, Scott Root 83′, Caylem Nelson 96′)
Papakura won penalty shoot-out 5-3 after extra time

FC Whangarei 2 (Jason Teal 22′, Andrew Dunn 64′)
Sperm Whales FC 2 (Tom Read 9′, 32′)
Sperm Whales won penalty shoot-out 8-7 after extra time

University of Auckland FC 0
Otumoetai FC 2 (Flynn Mulligan 25′, Jack Boland 40′)

Papamoa FC 2 (Benjamin Van der Salm 23′, own goal 85′)
Papatoetoe AFC 1 (Iwa Shaker 4′)

Drury United 2 (Kierran Bent 27′, Luke Chapman 56′)
Kerikeri FC 5 (Oliver Godden 18′, Jordan Roberts 58′, 83′, Paulo Montino 79′, Oliver Huett 89′)

Onerahi 4 (Calum Coenra 10′, Scott Burgess 17′, 77′, Daniel Hanmore 87′)
Lynn-Avon United 2 (Houston Hong 40′, Blake Semp 46′)

Uni-Mount Bohemian AFC 1 (Allan Peter Forsyth 65′)
Ngongotaha AFC 2 (Harlem Simiona 23′, Luke Barker 90+1′)

Waikato Unicol AFC 3 (Donovan Latham 6′, Jordi Ditfort 36′, Reuben Henderson 56′)
South Auckland Rangers 2 (Sidhaarth Kumar 16′, Prashil Kumar 83′)

Zamantix Rovers Deuce 3 (Blake John Westcar 13′, 85′, Kai Sanders 15′)
Te Atatu AFC 4 (Peter Norris 27′, Kyal Wells 76′, 80′, 90+22′)

Puhoi Sports Club 0
Mangere United 5 (Suhail Ali 7′, 16′, 49′, Hakim Muhammed 18′, Mohammed Zoheb 71′)

AFC Bohemian Celtic 0
Taupo AFC 5 (Joseph O’Donoghue 17′, 36′, 52′, Raymond How 49′, Dylan Foster 82′)

Woodleigh FC TBC
Whanganui AthleticTBC

FC Western 0
PN Marist FC 2 (Melvin Rumere 30′, 51′, Luke Minshull 78′)

Naenae SC 2 (Scott Stratford 29′, Clayton Bryant 105′)
Paekakariki SC 1 (Finn Anderson Howard 45+1′)
After extra time

Wellington Marist AFC 4 (Gavin Peattie 8′, 42′, Dion Keetley 55′, Fawaz Khan 90+6′)
Greytown FC 0

FC Nelson TBC
Golden Bay TBC

Richmond Athletic TBC
Mapua Rangers TBC

Western AFC 0
Universities AFC 1

High School Old Boys 0
Waimakariri United 10 (Kamil Elmohib 9′, 22′, 31′, 48′, Jonny Cochrane 68′, Danny Loney 80′, 86′, Mitchell Quigley 85′, 90′, Jake Hale 88′)

The following teams had a bye to round 1:

Albany United, Auckland City FC, Auckland United, Bay Olympic, Beachlands Maraetai AFC, Birkenhead United, Bucklands Beach, Cambridge FC, Claudelands Rovers, East Coast Bays, Eastern Suburbs, Ellerslie AFC, Fencibles United, Franklin United, Hamilton Wanderers, Hibiscus Coast, Manukau United, Manurewa AFC, Melville United AFC, Metro FC, Mt Albert Ponsonby AFC, Ngaruawahia United, North Shore United, Northern Rovers, Northland FC, Onehunga Mangere United, Oratia United, Takapuna AFC, Tauranga City, Tauranga Old Blues FC, Waiheke United, Waitemata FC, West Auckland AFC, West Coast Rangers, Western Springs, Brooklyn Northern United, Havelock North Wanderers, Island Bay United, Kapiti Coast United, Lower Hutt City, Isles Construction Massey University, Miramar Rangers, Napier City Rovers, North Wellington, Petone FC, Seatoun AFC, Stokes Valley, Stop Out, Tawa AFC, Upper Hutt City Football, Victoria University, Waikanae AFC, Wainuiomata AFC, Waterside Karori, Wellington Olympic, Wellington United, Western Suburbs, Burwood AFC, Cashmere Technical, Christchurch United, Coastal Spirit, Dunedin City Royals, FC Twenty 11, Ferrymead Bays, Gore Wanderers, Grants Braes AFC, Green Island, Halswell United, Mosgiel AFC, Nelson Suburbs, Nomads United, Northern AFC, Old Boys AFC, Otago University, Parklands United, Queens Park, Queenstown AFC, Roslyn Wakari, Selwyn United, Tahuna FC, Wanaka AFC.

More football stories