Today (December 14) marks the 100-year anniversary of the establishment of the Chatham Cup, a trophy that has become the most-contested club competition in New Zealand.
The trophy – a meticulous replica of the English FA Cup – was presented to the New Zealand Football Association on December 14, 1922, by Captain C.B. Prickett on behalf of the crew of the Royal Navy cruiser HMS Chatham, in gratitude for the hospitality received during the ship’s tour of duty in New Zealand waters.
After surviving World War 1, the Chatham was loaned to the New Zealand division of the Royal Navy from 1920 to 1924, before being sold for scrap in 1926.
While the ship may be long gone, the silver trophy that bears her name continues to be symbol of knockout competition for clubs throughout New Zealand.
Marking the occasion
To mark the significance of the 100-year relationship between football and the navy, NZ Football’s CEO Andrew Pragnell took the cup to the Royal Navy Museum in Devonport, Auckland, and to meet representatives of the navy.
Main photo: The Chatham Cup goes back to the navy for a day … a special day. Photo: From NZ Football’s video.
Remembering how it all started
Ngā Taonga Sound & Vision have published a special collection of words, images and recordings that tell the story of how the Chatham Cup came about.
Chatham Cup enthusiast Michael Chadwick has written a special feature for the Ngā Taonga Sound & Vision archive.
READ MORE: Click here to read the Ngā Taonga Sound & Vision special feature >>>>