Another sold-out stadium expected for Fern’s match against the Philippines

Ferns midfielder Malia Steinmetz is looking forward to playing in front of another packed house when New Zealand face the Philippines at Wellington’s Sky Stadium.

The Western Sydney Wanderers playmaker was one of the stars of New Zealand’s 1-0 against Norway in the opening game of the FIFA Women’s World Cup.

Now, the Ferns are set to face the Philippines in a match that could see New Zealand qualify from Group A for the knockout stages — which would be a first for the New Zealand side.

More than 33,000 are expected to fill Wellington’s Sky Stadium for the match.

READ MORE: Crowd urged to ‘get there early’ for Ferns’ match against Philippines >>>>

Steinmetz (24) told a media briefing ahead of Tuesday’s game:

“Obviously, they’re going to be a really tough side.

“A few of us know some of their players, some of their key players, so we’re up for the fight on our home pitch.”

Playing in front of another sold-out home crowd would help, she said.

“It (playing at home) was quite calming, which I know sounds interesting but having that home advantage is definitely a real advantage.

“It felt like all my friends and family were in the stands; I think they actually were, so just to have that was insane! I think we’ve really utilised that, collectively as a team.”

Main photo: Malia Steinmetz enjoys the winning feeling with coach Jitka Klimková at the final whistle of the Ferns’ win against Norway. Photo: Shane Wenzlick / Phototek.

New Zealand’s head coach Jitka Klimková … wants her team to raise their performance against the Philippines. Photo: Shane Wenzlick / Phototek.

Coach Jitka Klimová: ‘We want to grow’

Ferns head coach Jitka Klimková said:

“We want to raise our performance, we want to grow in this tournament, so we’ve studied Philippines, even prior to the tournament and during their game against Switzerland, so we understand how they play.

“We’ve discussed how we’re going to approach the next game.

“We were celebrating the moment. We made history. We enjoyed it. It was a great evening and great the next day when were still smiling and felt that victory but the next day was a re-shift and a re-focus, and that’s where we are right now.”

Ferns go into game as favourites

New Zealand are currently rated the 26th best side in the world according to FIFA world rankings, while the Philippines are ranked 46th.

New Zealand are rated the favourites to win this match, with bookmakers TAB rating the Ferns a 72% probability of a win, with a 19% chance of a draw and only a 9% likelihood of a Philippines victory.

New Zealand were paying $1.29 in fixed odds betting to win, while a dollar on a Philippines win returns $9.00. The draw is $4.50.

Last time they met

New Zealand beat the Philippines 2-1 in an international friendly in Los Angeles last September.

READ MORE: Ferns put back-to-back wins together for first time in almost four years >>>>


Game to be played on Tuesday July 25, 2023

New Zealand v Philippines
Sky Stadium, Wellington, 5.30pm

Current standings

How to watch

Here’s how and when you can watch the game on television, including the match highlights and full replays.

READ MORE: How to view the Ferns against Philippines at FIFA Women’s World Cup >>>>

How to listen

Here’s how and when you can listen to match commentaries on radio.

LISTEN: How to follow the games on radio >>>>

Wellington’s Sky Stadium … expected to set more attendance records when the Ferns play the Philippines.

The squads

New Zealand

Current FIFA ranking: #26

Best World Cup finish: Group stage 2019

Base training camp: Keith Hay Park, Mt Roskill, Auckland (home of Auckland United)


1 Erin Nayler (IFK Norrköping, Sweden)
21 Victoria Esson (Rangers, Scotland)
23 Anna Leat (Aston Villa, England)*


4 CJ Bott (Leicester City, England)
3 Claudia Bunge (Melbourne Victory, Australia)*
5 Michaela Foster (Unattached)*
7 Ali Riley (Angel City, United States)
13 Rebekah Stott (Brighton & Hove Albion, England)
14 Katie Bowen (Unattached)
19 Elizabeth Anton (Perth Glory, Australia)*


2 Ria Percival (Tottenham Hotspur, England)
6 Malia Steinmetz (Unattached)*
8 Daisy Cleverley (HB Køge, Denmark)
10 Annalie Longo (Unattached)
11 Olivia Chance (Celtic, Scotland)
12 Betsy Hassett (Stjarnan, Iceland)


9 Gabi Rennie (Arizona State University, United States)*
15 Paige Satchell ( Unattached)
16 Jacqui Hand (Åland United, Finland)*
17 Hannah Wilkinson (Melbourne City, Australia)
18 Grace Jale (Unattached)*
20 Indiah-Paige Riley (Unattached)*
22 Milly Clegg (Western Sydney Wanderers, Australia)*

*FIFA Women’s World Cup debut

Head coach

Jitka Klimková


Current FIFA ranking: #46

Best World Cup finish: First appearance

Base training camp: Olympic Park, New Lynn, Auckland (home of Bay Olympic)


1 Olivia Davies-McDaniel (Milwaukee Panthers, United States)
18 Kaiya Jota (Los Angeles Breakers, United States)
22 Kiara Fontanilla (Central Coast Mariners, Australia)


2 Malea Cesar (Blacktown City, Australia)
3 Jessika Cowart (IFK Kalmar, Sweden)
5 Hali Long (Kaya–Iloilo, Philippines)
13 Angela Beard (Western United, Australia)
16 Sofia Harrison (Unattached)
17 Alicia Barker (Unattached)
19 Dominique Randle (Þór/KA, Iceland)
22 Reina Bonta (Santos, Brazil)


4 Jaclyn Sawicki (Australia Western United, Australia)
6 Tahnai Annis (Þór/KA, Iceland)
8 Sara Eggesvik (KIL/Hemne, Norway)
11 Anicka Castañeda (Mt Druitt Town Rangers, Australia)
12 Ryley Bugay (Unattached)
14 Meryll Serrano (Stabæk, Norway)
20 Quinley Quezada (Red Star Belgrade, Serbia)


7 Sarina Bolden (Western Sydney Wanderers, Australia)
9 Isabella Flanigan (Unattached)
10 Chandler McDaniel (Milwaukee Panthers, United States)
15 Carleigh Frilles (Blacktown Spartans, Australia)
21 Katrina Guillou (Piteå IF, Sweden)

Head coach

Alen Stajcic

Tips for fans attending games

READ MORE: Going to a game at the FIFA Women’s World Cup? Here are some tips for fans >>>>

More football stories